St Johns Group
St John's has an active Environment Group which is helping everyone to recognise the personal impact of CO2 emissions. The Group has been emphasising the need for us all to recognise that changes in our personal lifestyles will be necessary if we in the UK are to meet the objective of reducing CO2 emissions by 60% by 2050. A public version of DEFRA's new CO2 calculator has been launched which you can find at http://actonco2.direct.gov.uk/index.html. It is a simple way to understand and measure your carbon footprint and consider ways you might reduce it. You could also try www.footprint.wwf.org.uk as an alternative.
3. Consider recycling items such as ink cartridges in the box at the back of church. Any proceeds will be donated to charities including Martin House children's hospice.
4. Check your tyre pressure if you use a car. Every 65 miles you drive with the right pressure could save 1kg of CO2.
5. Boil as much water as you need - Scottish Power has assessed that overfilling kettles wastes enough energy in a week to light a house for a day.
6. Turn off the tap - a dripping tap can waste an amazing 1,008 gallons per year. Turning off the tap whilst brushing your teeth saves 6 litres of water per minute.
7. Consider taking part in the Bradford and Dales Green Fund. Download the attached acrobat document for more information.
| Printable Version|