The next sale will be on Saturday 29th March 2014 from 10am to 12 noon. Thanks to all who took part in the October 2013 sale which raised around £1,100 for children related charities.
For 20 years a group of mothers at St John's have been running a half yearly clothing sale (together with good quality children's books, DVDs, videos and small/medium sized toys) where 50% of the money raised goes to children's charities at home and overseas and 50% to the seller. These events are typically very well attended.
If you have Items to sell here is what you should do for the next sale:-
1. Please ensure that all items for sale are clean and in good condition. Clothes should also be seasonal (winter clothes for the autumn sale, summer clothes for the spring sale), and sized up to 16 years. Books, DVDs, videos must be suitable for children (rated 12A, PG or below). We now also welcome suitable maternity wear too. We're sorry but we cannot sell equipment.
2. Make a strong label for each sale item showing your name, age of wearer, and price. Prices should be in multiples of 50p. A brief description will also help if the label goes astray. For clothes we recommend thin card and safety pins to attach. For small/medium sized toys, videos, DVDs and books please use sticky labels that can be peeled off. Please note that using coloured paper/thin card or a coloured pen can help distinguish your items from other sellers. If you want to donate unsold items to charity after the sale please mark the label with a 'D'
3. Pricing of items
- Tops and T-Shirts - 50p - £3
- Skirts & Trousers - 50p - £4
- Dresses - 50p - £5
- Coats - up to £10
- Shoes - up to £10
- Videos - 50p - £2
- DVD's - £1 - £4
Small items such as socks, pants, baby vests can be bundled together and priced accordingly. All pricing should be appropriate to the quality of the item(s) to be sold.
4. Bring items to the hall on the eve of the next event between 9am and 11am, or if this is not possible, please ring the Organiser on 01943 609743 to arrange a time.
5. Unsold items can be collected from the church hall from 4-5 pm ON THE DAY OF THE SALE. Please remember to collect the share of the proceeds of your sale items and if you are unable to do this on the day of the event, please remember to leave a contact number with the organiser so that an alternative collection time can be arranged.
Please remember that a lost label could mean the seller does not receive 50% of the sale proceeds so please do take care in attaching the label. All items left after 5pm on the day of the sale will be donated to charity.
Over £20,000 has been raised for a number of charities which have included:-
AIREDALE SPECIAL CARE
AIREDALE HOSPITAL PAEDIATRIC EQUIPMENT FUND
CHILDREN'S PROJECTS IN MOLDOVA AND LATIN AMERICA
CHERNOBYL CHILDREN'S HOLIDAYS
CHILDREN'S SOCIETY HOLIDAYS
CHILDREN IN NEED
INNER CITY FAMILY PROJECTS
JUBILEE OUTREACH (ALBANIA)
JUBILEE OUTREACH (ROMANIA)
LOCAL SCOUT HUT FUND
LOCAL SPECIAL SCHOOLS
MARTIN HOUSE HOSPICE
MATUGGA ORPHANAGE AND SCHOOL, UGANDA
CHILD SPONSORSHIP SCHEME, UGANDA
NCH ACTION FOR
PLAY EQUIPMENT FOR
ILKLEY HEALTH CENTRE
SAVE THE CHILDREN
ST. GEORGE'S FAMILY
THE MOTHERS UNION
THORPE EDGE CENTRE
We always welcome new families to take part in these bi-annual events and if you are willing to help on the day please do get in touch via the Church Office or at one of our weekly worship services. St John's also has a number of weekly activities for parents and carers with young children so please see the associated web pages on young people's activities and the weekly calendar for more details.